I have advance copies of¬†The Gathering¬†and I’m reluctant to give many away nine months (!!) before the book comes out. ¬†So I’m saving most for the new year. ¬†But a few contests will trickle out before then. ¬†Here’s one and it’s NOT as easy as entering your name to win. ¬†I’m making you really work for this.¬†
To enter, send the answers to all SEVEN questions below to¬†email@example.com. ¬†Tomorrow (Thurs Aug 12) at noon EST, we’ll draw one correct winner.
WINNER: KARA FROM COLORADO.
1. How many times in the Darkest Powers trilogy does Chloe dye her hair?
Twice–red streaks, then black.
2. In The Awakening, what movie character does Simon draw on his note for Chloe?
The Terminator. ¬†While Chloe mentions that the character he drew on the crate has claws like Wolverine, it’s his own creation from his comics.
3. Which Darkest Powers character has the same last name as Maya from The Gathering?
4. In The Reckoning, name three of the ghosts Chloe encounters in the safe house (there are five)
Dr. Banks, Royce, Chloe’s mom, Andrew, Gwen. ¬†I also accepted Austin, because it wasn’t clear he was a residual and not a ghost. ¬†I didn’t accept Liam and Liz because Chloe encountered them OUTSIDE the safe house.
5. What is the main colour for the US cover of The Gathering? ¬†And for the UK cover (it’s different this time!)
Blue for US and green for the UK (we also accepted white for the UK)
6. In The Awakening, what breed of dog do Derek and Chloe encounter? ¬†And what breed bit Derek in the past?
He was bitten by a Chihuahua. ¬†For the first part, I meant the “killer Pomeranian,” but only because I forgot that a yellow Lab was mentioned later, so I accepted either.
7. Speaking of dogs… ¬†What’s the name of Maya’s dog (from The Gathering)?
Kenjii (also accepted Kenji for those who missed the second i )
While my UK publisher initially chose their own cover for The Summoning (as they do for all my adult books) they quickly switched to using the North American one for reprints, and followed with the NA covers for The Awakening and The Reckoning. ¬†Now that the YA market in the UK is growing, they’re going their own way again
Here’s the UK cover for The Gathering. ¬†It’s an artist’s work. rather than a photo, and is based on the photo of Maya I use on the site.